Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Giving your opinion and asking for the opinion of others

Here are some expressions that you can use to give your opinion:

- In my opinion/view...
- Generally speaking, I think...
- To my mind...
- I'd just like to say...
- As far as I'm concerned...
- I'm quite convinced that... (careful! it's expresses a very strong opinion)
- To be quite honest/frank...
- If you ask me...

As for asking for somebody's opinion, here are some phrases you can use in different situations:

- What/How about you? = informal exchange of ideas
- Would you care to comment on...? = often used when addressing an individual in a more formal situation e.g. a TV interview with a politician.
- Any comments? = used when addressing a group of people in a more formal situation e.g. a meeting
- Would you agree with that? informal exchange of ideas
- What are your views on...? = often used when addressing an individual in a more formal situation e.g. a TV interview with a politician.
- What's your opinion? = informal exchange of ideas
- What do you think...? = informal exchange of ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment